Monday 12 January 2015

Moving in to my new home

So I’ve survived! My 1st week in my new school, Bonus Pastor Catholic College. I felt just like I did back when I first begun Teach First 2 and ½ years ago, not knowing anyone, what on earth was going on, what was where, how to use the photocopy, even where the loo was. I had a car full of boxes, globes, maps and other stuff to unload, my room was…a rubbish dump, having been used by a cover teacher for the previous term, and to top it off I was teaching 4 hours of year 11 on my first day, 2 hours with the assistant head and ex Head of Department!

However when thinking back to my first ever week back as an unqualified teacher I now recognise just how far on I’ve come and grown, and just how much I’ve learnt. Not only teaching strategies, although I’m sure my lessons this week were a damn sight better than 2 and ½ years ago, mainly featuring jelly babies as population, but also in terms of developing relationships with both pupils and staff.

And this is the crux of my advice to anyone else changing schools or starting out teaching; invest time in developing relationships with both those you teach, and those you work with.  However frantic and manic it is don’t forget the smiles in the corridor, plucking up the courage and taking time to chat to someone new over the photocopier, grab a drink and 5 minutes in the Staff Room (once you’ve found it of course!) Shout good morning to kids down the corridor (even if you don’t teach them) and just get to know people. Because whilst this week has gone pretty well, and I love my new school, it’s been made a lot easier by having help from my new colleagues, and being welcomed by the kids.
So here’s my top 7 bits of advice for anyone starting new.
1)      Invest in relationships, both with staff and pupils, even just smiling and morning in the corridor (particular those in your department)
2)      Be organised – think and plan ahead
3)      Get to know your line manager (a valuable source of support)
4)      Gut your room and make it home
5)      Make those first lessons count – we say about kids giving us good or bad first impressions so we should be the same to them
6)      Venture out around your new home – Go explore!
7)      Take a break (and maybe even go for a drink!)

This move I’ve been relatively lucky as I am good friends with my new line manager who is one of the Deputy Heads (though admittedly they were away in the first week!) but also my partner works at the school. Whilst this helps give you some of the basics, and I’ve had a really warm welcome this last week, I feel like the school could have better prepared me, and is a common problem I’ve found from chatting to colleagues and seeing new colleagues joining my old school. The reason for this is that I think that whichever member of SLT is in charge of new staff, often hasn’t been new staff themselves for so long they’ve forgotten what it feels like, so here’s my top tips for you, to help improve the experience of new members of staff in your school:

1)      Get them in on a productive induction day the term before
2)      Organise all of the practical admin stuff beforehand e.g. get them a laptop, room key, show them how to use the photocopier, take registers, give them class lists – all the jobs that take up valuable time in the first week when they are stressing about other things, or stressing about not being able to print!
3)       Regularly check in with them throughout the week – check they’re ok!
4)      Have a “new beginners” checklist which both you and them use to make sure everything gets done!
5)      Welcome them to as many people as possible (preferably over a drink on the Friday night)


Overall, my first week has gone incredibly well, and I have loved the new challenges, people and just exploring a new place. I’m half way through redecorating my room (and there’ll be a post on that and its importance soon) I’ve made some new friends, and some kids have learnt some stuff too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment